Monday, March 8, 2010

There are definitely perks of having a friend like Erica that upon requesting a banner of Hells Kitchen turned Call's Kitchen can whip up this masterpiece in a matter of minutes. I've decided to start a new installment called "Call's Kitchen" where I post of my culinary school experiences. Shall we begin?

Last week was breakfast week, I was thrilled. Nothing makes me more happy than eating breakfast items, eggs benedict, crepes, waffles, poached eggs. The entire class was under the impression that this was going to be a walk down easy street. Sadly breakfast week was nothing to be thrilled about, in fact it was horrifying. We had to make 2 eggs of sunny side, over easy, over medium, over hard, poached, boiled, basted and shirred. The whites of the eggs had to be colorless and yolks intact. The only spatulas we seemed to have were ones that you would use on a grill, and my egg flipping skills left something to be desired. After my failed attempts, I finally just tried one egg at a time. I took my mess of eggs on a plate up to my teacher and few words were spoken. He knew, and I knew that they were utter crap. As I walked back to my station he yelled, "Malia, next time try to plate something that you wouldn't serve to your 5 year old cousin." Awesome.

17 comments:

Erica said...

LOL That picture makes me laugh so much. I am going to enjoy this segment.

Amber Ferran said...

I LOVE IT! I told you I had some sort of vision about you with your own show...I guess Call's Kitchen is close enough

Giles Fam said...

LOVE the banner! It seriously made me laugh out loud. I love these cooking stories. Awesome! Keep them coming!

youngsters said...

so are you saying that with all this practice you will have your breakfast skills down so when we visit next week we can partake!?! you know our favorite meal is breakfast!! and... that picture..it took me a second after reading the post that it was YOU!!

Michelle said...

That picture of you scares me and makes me belly laugh all at once. You look like the trick-or-treaters from "Nightmare Before Christmas" lol.

I am very much enjoying these posts and very much enjoying your teachers berating you.

Jason and Kristy said...

I am literally laughing out loud. Please keep up the "calls kitchen" I love it. And kudos to Erica on the banner!

the cummard family said...

did he mean your 5 year old nephew?

BethanyPeterson said...

heyyyyy. yeah i'm coming up but kris isn't. he has to work. i want to stop by ANS and see you all!!!

natalie todd said...

i can't stop laughing. i love you.

natalie todd said...

wow I just reread my comment and it sounds very creepy.

Chelise said...

Eggs are my enemy. I pop the yolk every time!

The banner is perfect.

Cam and Mele said...

Lol thank you for starting this segment and thank you Erica for that picture. Bahaha I can't stop.

Katie said...

Oh wow! I love it! I would eat your eggs no matter what they looked like!

Crystal and Kyle said...

Nice work Erica :) I am no good at eggs unless they're scrambled. Excited to hear more about your school adventures. Sorry it's taken awhile with the pillow. I promise I'll get it done.

Case said...

Okay, these cullinary posts are a total hoot. I laughed outloud at work when I read about lady trying to rip into your school backpack and the picture of call's kitchen is art. The rough classes will all pay off when your food gets unceasing compliments.

lizzywrite said...

Oh, I had a horrible time with eggs in culinary school too. I think I tried over-easy 15 times before my professor accepted it. Good luck!

Holly G said...

why don't you just put the eggs in the microwave and cook them for 60 seconds?