Thursday, October 25, 2007

"He loves sports more than me, will my marriage last?"


Early this morning Erica informed me of an article on the MSN homepage about a wife dealing with a sports fanatic. I knew this was an article I had to read. For any wives or girlfriends out there that have become overwhelmed with the sports season, ie. football, baseball you'll surely be able to sympathize with this story. The opening line of the article goes something like this...
"My husband is a sports fanatic and it's destroying our marriage."
The article tells the husbands side of the story, the wife's side of the story and their therapist. I chuckled at certain points because I could totally relate! Especially since the wife watched the Food Channel and would end up watching it in the other room during such sports times, that was all too familiar. The couple ended up seeing a counselor and resolving their issues.
Although I am poking fun at this article it really was helpful to see the comments of these two married people and how they have resolved the "sports issue." The wife now goes to live games so that her husband can explain plays and what's going on. The husband has agreed to watch or participate in 2 sports events a week instead of all the time. So for those of you out there suffering as I am, there is hope and it could be worse!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to read this. It has gotten so bad here that I look forward to Tuesday and Wednesday nights because I know it is the only night that there are no college or pro football games on! Except on these nights he insists on watching SportsCenter as they discuss and pick apart what happened the weekend previous in football and predict what will happen in the coming weekend. I'm glad there are other wives who are going through the same thing!

Michelle said...

Sorry I can't relate to this at all. I'm the one who tells Tims which games are on and when...I watch more sports than he does.

Erica said...

lol when I read it I was laughing at all the similarities. I like the idea of hosting sports parties too, to combine your passion for cooking and his of sports!

Ah msn.com you are so wise.

Giles Fam said...

I hear ya, Malia! my husband is a football FANATIC. I always say its amazing that we ended up getting married, since our dating months were exactly the football season...let's just say our dating consisted of a lot of football games. Woo Hoo! (hope you caught my enthusiasm there:)

elizabeth said...

I am so lucky. David likes sports but after a few heartfelt sighs, he switches it back to Reba.

elizabeth said...

P.S. I'm not kidding about the "Reba".

Malia said...

Lol, Liz you are one lucky girl! I love that you watch Reba!

I knew everyone would be able to agree with me on this one. Erica I laughed too when she said that she stopped making his favorite meals, lol.

the cummard family said...

LOL-I'm so lucky to have a husband who doesn't like sports!

NOT!

I'm so freaking sick of baseball-luckily it's almost over...AND basketball-which is just beginning, and football-who know's what stage it's in...maybe mid-season. FOR THE LOVE! Parker get's home and is hypnotized till 10pm (sometimes later)!