The past week I have been looking at my 2 week old post and trying to think of something new to post about. Today I received an email from Erica's Mom Michelle requesting an update. After telling her my problem she suggested doing a post of marriage advice for my bestie who is getting married on the 9th of May. "What a great idea!" I said. So anyone else out there that would like to offer Erica some advice for the big day, please don't be a pervert, and leave a comment!First, don't stress. I remember sitting in the chair getting my hair done and getting a phone call from my Mom saying "the florist doesn't have peonies for your bouquet, I could probably get some from Terry but would it be okay to put some calle lilies in there?" I could tell by my Mom's voice that she was bracing herself for the worst, or really just the responses that I had been giving her for 5 months when I received bad news! But I responded with "Yeah that should be fine."
Second, laugh. I remember at the reception making silly poses to your Mom and Kris and the four of us (including sweet Abby) just sat and laughed. But because I wasn't stressed I was really able to enjoy my guests and have a sincere laugh.
Third, enjoy & EAT! I had a couple hours before the reception to see everything go into place because, well it was at my house. But, nothing felt rushed. So even if you have to remember to do this, look around at the details, the flowers, the food, the table cloths and enjoy the fruits of your labor! Now I say eat because I have heard of so many brides that drive away from the reception famished, so for Pete's sake EAT!
Fourth, have fun. Before I started this I text Brad and said "Hey do you have any advice for Erica on the day of the wedding?" Expecting something perverted I was surprised to receive this response, " Don't stress about what others are in charge of, just enjoy the day and remember to have fun."
The day of my wedding was perfect. I ate, I laughed, I talked and I smiled. You have been planning and stressing and I just want you to have a perfect day. So hopefully with these bits of advice you'll be able to sit back and really enjoy yourself. Love you!



7 comments:
Excellent advice Malia.
I second everything Malia said. Relax and enjoy because you will never ever get this day back, let your wonderful wedding coordinator do the sweating. I want to see nothing but smiles and laughter out of you and Zach.
The only thing I remember from my reception is hurting feet, starving, a flurry of faces and how much I hated my dress....oh ya and your Dad looking prettier than me.
I want the day to be a complete celebration of you and Zach...and if anyone gets in the way of that happening I can't promise that I won't commit a felony.
Love you sweetins.
Good advice! Where were you when I got married? What I remember most about your reception, Malia (besides your perfection) was how relaxed your were and how much you were enjoying yourself. I don't even think you were wearing your shoes around, were you?
And Erica, everything to what Malia said, because what matters most is you and Zach driving away and having the rest of your lives together!
I was one of those brides who was starving when I left my reception. Jason and my first stop as a happily married couple was through a Wendy's drive through. Sad.
One thing that I am so grateful I did was do some things myself. While I know that's not possible for everyone, I love that I made my own bouquet (the morning of my wedding), designed my own dress and did my own hair and make-up. I loved being able to remember those little details and feeling that accomplishment of doing it myself.
I also agree with Malia that relaxing is some of the best advice ever. We got married in the afternoon so the whole morning, I sat with my sisters and we talked and laughed while we made the centerpieces and I made my bouquet. I loved how peaceful and calm I felt and I think that comes from knowing that I was marrying the right person.
Another piece of advice is just to let things go after they're over. Don't worry about a spill on someone's tie or other stupid stuff like that ruin your day.
About the "starving" thing. For us, it was super hard to eat at the reception because we didn't have a second to sit down but it seems so sad to not get to eat your own food. I loved how my caterer prepared a basket for us containing some of the food from our reception (paninis, fruit, cake, etc.) and some bubbly. It was so nice to be able to enjoy that romantic little picnic when we were alone.
Congrats! I'm in love with your invitation. I've been showing strangers I love it so much!
Liz
ERica,
my advice is don't forget to wear deoderant.
Love, Casey
p.s. that's not my real advice but Kenzie is yelling for me to go inside and play rummy with her over homeade strawberry lemonade so I got to go and I'll give some real stuff later.
You're such a good friend Malia. Obviously I don't know your friend but she is very pretty and I wish her the best! Marriage is so great.
Funny you say that Casey, because the day of the wedding I forgot to wear deodorant, so the sweet little ladies in the temple found me a can of aerosal deodorant, lol.
Ok, Air~
I know I'm a little late in posting but hopefully this gets to you anyway. I know that a lot of people have said not to stress--and that really IS huge, but keep in mind that I think atleast one thing is guaranteed to go wrong in the day. From everyone I have always talked to--something unforseeen always went wrong.
For example--my bouquet was delivered and absolutely sucked!! On a normal day, i probably would have bawled my eyes out--but I swear it was like impossible for me to be upset on my wedding day. Other things went wrong as well, but I was SOOOOO happy I couldn't have cared less. I wish that stupid, naive happiness on you!
I was also one of those brides who drove away from our reception STARVING! I think I got all of one grape all day long--and that was just because Skyler shoved it into my mouth while I was talking to someone at the reception. But, like Liz, someone had made us a gift basket of a ton of food to take to the hotel room that night. SUCH a good idea! How sad would it be to have never tried your own wedding food!?
We also didn't leave the reception until after 11--and we were supposed to be done at 9...so be firm about the times you have scheduled things. That's my advice, but I know you won't need it. Your wedding is going to be awesome! Congrats! I wish I could be there!!
Post a Comment